Welcome and thank you for your interest in volunteering Gomer Junior School. Our school has a friendly, caring and welcoming atmosphere and the children are well behaved and highly motivated. We provide a wide range of learning experiences for all and recognise the talents and interests of each and every one of them. We aim to support our children in becoming responsible young citizens in their own community and on a global scale. They are encouraged to play an active role in their learning and understand their responsibility in this.
Volunteers at Gomer Junior School bring with them a range of skills and experience that can enhance the learning opportunities, outcomes and enjoyment of children at our school. We welcome and encourage volunteers from the local community.
Our Volunteers include:
- Members of the Governing Body
- Parents/carers and other relatives of pupils
- Asda Community Champion
- Former pupils
- Students on work experience
- Former members of staff
- Local residents
The types of activities that volunteers support and assist with include:
• Hearing children read
• Working with small groups of children
• Working alongside individual children
• Undertaking art and craft activities with children
• Working in our library
• Running or assisting with after-school clubs
• Working with children on the computers
• Accompanying school visits
• Supporting fundraisers e.g. school discos and fetes
The Benefits of Volunteering
For the children: increases in understanding, achievement, self-confidence and self-esteem.
For teaching staff: greater opportunity to work with other children, so enabling the class as a whole to learn more effectively and achieve more.
For the volunteer: a great sense of achievement and personal satisfaction, new knowledge and new skills, improved career prospects.
What Volunteering Has Already Helped Achieve At Gomer Junior
Our school and our pupils are lucky enough to benefit, on a daily basis, from the fantastic efforts of our many brilliant volunteers, who have helped the achievement of a wide range of important activities and benefits, including:
• Supporting learning across the curriculum
• Supporting arts week
• Raising funds and providing a wide range of resources and facilities
• Helping to design the school uniform
• Supporting clubs
• Assistance with school plays and productions
Support For Volunteers
We greatly value and appreciate the time and effort that each of our volunteers generously gives to our school, whether it is on a regular or more ad hoc basis. In order to try to make our volunteers feel welcomed, valued and well informed about our school – including its activities, values and objectives – we aim to provide active and positive support to our volunteers in several ways, including:
• A welcome pack
• Full training if and when needed
• Access to our monthly newsletters
• Web pages providing volunteer news and information on our school website
•Appropriate references/testimonials for those seeking to build on their volunteering experience in their career
Becoming a Volunteer
Anyone wishing to become a volunteer, either for a one off event, such as a school visit, or on a more regular basis (e.g. hearing children read), should approach one of school Volunteer Coordinators, Mr T Potter or Mrs Sam Sinclair, who will be pleased to explain the volunteering opportunities at our school in more detail and answer any questions prospective volunteers may have. Mrs Sinclair can be contacted via the main school office (023 92 524312) or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org As part of our safeguarding protocols, volunteers will need to complete:
• An application form – contact details, type of activities volunteers would like to help with, and the times they are available to help
• Provide evidence of their identity
• Evidence that they have the right to work in the UK
• Routine DBS check
Before starting to help in school, volunteers will also be invited to complete the Volunteer Agreement which sets out the school’s expectations of volunteers but, just as importantly, explains what volunteers can expect from our school.
The Gomer Team are really looking forward to working with you.