‘Learning Today for the Challenge of Tomorrow underpins our school ethos.’
We are a school community which engenders and values a love of life long learning by:
- maintaining a challenging and relevant curriculum
- providing leading edge learning opportunities to prepare our learners for tomorrow’s world
- championing a culture in which children are keen to strive for success, prepared to take risks and learn from their mistakes
- actively involving parents/carers in children’s learning
Everyone in our school community is cared for unconditionally and valued equally as a unique person. In our learning, in our work, in our relationships and through the ethos of our community, we are committed to aiming for success in everything we do.
‘We are aiming for everyone in our community to engender and value a love of lifelong learning.’
It is our aim that everyone within our school community aspires to our vision. For our pupils we are aiming for them to develop and enhance the necessary skills, both social and academic to become prepared for the ever changing world ahead of them.
We have a strong desire for all stakeholders to take with them happy memories of their time in their school; everyone is valued.
- We have a responsibility to listen and a right to learn and be safe.
- We have a responsibility to treat people kindly and respect them for who they are.
- We have a responsibility to walk around the school sensibly showing that we are positive role models.
- We have a responsibility to look after our own, each other’s and school property.
- We have a responsibility to try our best in every lesson.
- We have a responsibility to use polite words and show good manners.
- We have a responsibility to adhere to the ‘Gomer Standard’ in terms of tolerance and respecting individual liberty alongside accepting each other’s rights of opinion.
Pupils are made aware of their rights and responsibilities. These are consistently displayed in all classrooms across the school and referred to as a means of reinforcing positive behaviour.
Rewards for Good Behaviour and/or Work
Regular praise and encouragement is part of the school ethos. In addition to this, behaviour which supports the school’s values is celebrated by:
- Attendance awards: A class attendance league is created every week. The aim is to try to ensure that all classes maintain at least 96.5% attendance. A cup is awarded to the winning class. The league table is displayed in the case outside reception. Additionally, children with 100% attendance each term receive an ice-skating and swimming pass to use locally.
- Foundations of Learning: stamps are collected on bookmarks. Once children reach 10 they are shared in our Friday celebration assembly and laminated so that they can be used.
- Golden Child nominations: One child chosen as ‘Golden Child’. Name appears in a special book which is displayed in the trophy cabinet. These children also have priority lunch and can choose a friend to sit with them.
- House points: The school is divided into four house colours. Points are awarded for good behaviour and excellent work. They can be awarded by any member of staff and are totalled each week and a cup awarded in celebration assembly. A running total of overall leading house is kept and the winning house is rewarded at the end of the year.
- Learning Power certificates: Awarded celebration assembly to one child per class who has exceeded at the Learning Power of the week.
- Main sail text home: A text is sent using ‘Teacher to Parent’ to acknowledge children who have remained on the ‘main sail’ all week.
- Smart class of the week award: A trophy is awarded to the class/classes which have upheld the uniform expectations.
- Top Table: 8 children are chosen weekly, by the Lunchtime Supervisors to eat with Mrs Mulhall. Children are served a drink of their choice, received a sticker, eat at a specially laid table and have their plates cleared by our Head Teacher.
- Weekly merits: Children work towards certificates in multiples of 10. Names are read out in Friday celebration assembly. There are special certificates for 50 merits and 100 merits.