Home Learning has the potential to raise standards, extend learning opportunities and develop positive attitudes. At Gomer Junior we are aiming for all children to:
- Read at least 5 times a week.
- Spend the recommended amount of time on home learning in addition to reading. Children are to decide how to use their time e.g. they may spend more time on their maths than their writing.
- Learn their weekly spellings and include them in sentences within a piece of writing currently being taught in class e.g. poetry, instructions, story etc.
- Complete a weekly maths task.
- Spend some time on the gSTEM task. The gSTEM task is to be completed over a half-term and handed the last week of each half-term.
Alongside daily reading, LEARNING LOGS will continue to be sent home on a Friday. We deliberately do not send Learning Logs home over holiday periods to help provide time for children to rest (and you) and participate in the array of opportunities you provide for your children. We suggest that children read over these periods and perhaps continue with their times table learning. During term time we suggest that children aim for:
Y3 aim for 1 hour per week
Y4 aim for 1 hour per week
Y5 aim for 1 — 1.5 hours per week
Y6 aim for 1.5—2 hours per week
You know your child best and you will be able to decide if they need to do more or less than the suggestions above. ‘Life’ can get in the way on occasions and we understand that. The Learning Log sheet has a box for you to comment if you need to communicate anything about Home Learning. Please use this if it is helpful. All learning tasks are linked to the year group learning (see Phases of learning Booklet – sent to you last term) and are predominantly used to consolidate learning but may on provide a research or hands-on practical opportunity. We aim to balance this with everyone’s interests and strengths. We are keen for children to be self-motivated around home learning and provide Learning Log Club to help you and the children. All completed learning Logs are provided with a raffle ticket for our termly year group raffle. If you think we can improve on what we do, we welcome your feedback.
Home Learning is important and is included in our Home/School Agreement. It is expected that children will complete some home learning and the importance of parental/carer support can not be stressed enough.